About Crow’s Nest Yachts
Since 1974 Crow’s Nest Yachts has been assisting discerning Yachtsmen when they buy and sell yachts. Founded by Gordon Barienbrock in Newport Beach, California to provide unparalleled service to boat buyers, the company is now recognized as one of the leading yacht brokerage firms on the West Coast of the U.S. The size of the company has varied over time but its knowledge of the recreational boat marketplace and dedication to its customers remains. The Crow’s Nest at one point had four offices but found they could best serve the yachting community with their two convenient current locations, one in Newport Beach, California, and the other in Seattle, Washington. Crow’s Nest Yachts specializes in used boat sales of both power and sail. Their team has expertise in transactions for all types of vessels from cruising sailboats to mid-sized express cruisers, raised pilothouse motoryachts, tugs, trawlers, and large megayachts. Over the years Crow’s Nest Yachts has also sold new boats for respected brands like Bertram, Hatteras, Viking, Viking Sports Cruisers, (now Princess Yachts), Tiara, Lindell, Luhrs, Queenship, and Cheoy Lee. Currently, Vic Parcells in the Seattle office is the dealer/distributor for Apollonian Yachts.
The original Newport Beach office location was behind the Crab Cooker Restaurant on the Balboa Peninsula. The offices later moved near Billy’s at the Beach on Pacific Coast Highway. The current Newport Beach location is in a suite of offices on the Lido Peninsula past Sabatino’s restaurant and conveniently adjacent the Newport Harbor Shipyard.
In 2000 the Seattle office of Crow’s Nest Yachts opened in Chandler’s Cove on Lake Union. Later they moved to offices and docks on South Lake Union beneath Daniel’s Broiler adjacent to the Center for Wooden Boats and MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry). Later that year Crow’s Nest Yachts bought and merged with Compass Point Marine Group. The entire company was purchased in 2008 by renowned billionaire Anthony Hsieh. Over ten years ago the company was bought back from within and is currently owned and operated by the top brokers of both locations.
Improving your buying experience
- Finding the right boat at the right price. We have access to the deep databases of various Multiple Listing Services (MLS), both local and worldwide. We also develop and maintain professional contacts in both the power and sail markets with our connections to boat builders, yacht clubs, marinas, and other maritime organizations.
- We provide the proper purchase agreements and sequential sales documents to ensure each transaction proceeds smoothly and securely.
- For pre-purchase inspections, we can recommend qualified marine and mechanical surveyors as well as the appropriate shipyards for haul out.
- We work closely with you to negotiate the best possible purchase price as well as any appropriate adjustments or “Survey Allowances” following all inspection reports.
- To improve your buying experience we offer support after your initial purchase has been completed. We can provide recommendations and resources for both the maintenance and operation of your vessel from finding services for boat cleaning, hull diving, or electronics and equipment installation, to locating captains and crew.
- The Crow’s Nest Newport is a full-service escrow agency*. We collect and disburse all funds, with the proper documentation and signatures. We prepare all final paperwork, including closing statements, in collaboration with the appropriate transfer-of-title professionals (also known as Marine Documentation Agents).
*The Crow’s Nest Seattle utilizes a professional maritime title company to handle all their escrow transactions.
Helping you sell your boat
We can help you quickly and effectively sell your boat by reaching the best possible prospects. Our extensive marketing program, developed over many years, includes the latest digital advertising and inclusion in global searchable databases, as well as exposure in quality print publications, and boat show participation and promotion.
- Our print advertising program allows us to feature your boat in appropriate magazines each month exposing your boat to active buyers that are currently in the market.
- We will create a comprehensive profile of your boat complete with photographs and specifications for presentation to clients and brokers. Your boat’s “story” will be published on all appropriate internet boating search engines and websites.
- Email Marketing. We have an extensive opt-in database of clients and brokers to whom we regularly send emails. These E-Blasts include vessel images and information as well as price reductions, boat show information, location changes, and more.
- Social Media Exposure. We provide access to our extensive list of Crow’s Nest followers by managing and maintaining entries for vessels offered for sale on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and others.
- As we do for boat buyers, we offer boat sellers a thorough review of all sales documents ensuring their accuracy and fairness. Our team’s experience and insight, allow us to help negotiate a top-selling price for your vessel and make sure that any survey items are adjusted equitably. Your Crow’s Nest representative will be present for sea trials, surveys, and haul-outs to make sure the selling process runs smoothly.
- Before closing the sale of your boat, we will review with you all details of the transaction, including the final paperwork and transfer of funds.
- We look forward to meeting aboard your boat to closely inspect the vessel and provide a comprehensive proposal detailing the best way to sell your vessel. We will show you examples of our marketing programs and review a list of comparable vessels and their appraisals to help determine an appropriate asking price for your boat.